Monday, January 19, 2015

A ride in an amusement park: a reflection on the dimensions of learning

I recently visited an amusement park and one of the attractions was a 5-D cinema. This meant that I needed to wear 3-D glasses while I could watch a movie and feel my seat adjusting to the motion of the film, my heart sped up as the velocity increased and there was even some water drops sprayed when the scene was under the sea. Wow! It was not just the visual but other senses that were involved in the experience. Younger generations play online games, and use X-boxes that contribute to their lively experiences. I left the park thinking about the learning process and about the audience that enjoyed it. Am I engaging my students with all or most of their senses when I teach (or just the visual and auditory)?

This is one example of the innovations that technology can bring to a classroom. I may not need to have seats that move while my students learn. Yet, I feel that my teaching needed to evolve to introduce changes that ensure students are active while they learn. I have made baby steps towards that direction.

Family Enjoy Movie Ride by ThrillfxRide CC BY-SA 3.0




No comments:

Post a Comment